Saturday, September 10, 2011

When it Rains it Pours



Some people disagree with this statement, but when it comes to freelancing, it is most certainly true. I was explaining to a co-worker at my new part time job that I didn’t have any articles a few weeks ago. I had gone from forty-seven articles to twenty-four to one in a span of three weeks. Somehow all my clients (I have about eight regulars), who are located all over the world, (Canada, the U.S., Spain, and England) have managed to synchronize their schedules.
 
Sometimes I swear that they do this to make my life difficult. They will all want articles within days of each other. I went from having my one weekly article to getting contacted by two regulars and an older client within 48 hours of each other. Between the three of them, they want about forty-five articles. Fortunately, one is very flexible, and I’ve managed to schedule the other two around my work schedule. Then a few days later, I was contacted by two more clients in succession, and I know up to about fifty articles that need to be completed by this coming Friday.

This is only the most recent example of this freelancing concept, and I have experienced more extreme periods of drought and flood. Still, I suppose, alternating periods of feast and famine is better than starving all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment