Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Two Months as a Fulltime Freelance Writer


Two major developments occurred in my freelancing this month. The first, and most important, I almost (within a few dollars) made my monthly goal, and I easily paid all my bills, my rent, my gas and groceries. That was very exciting. I have also found about eight to ten fairly regular clients, and at this point, I’m no longer actively looking for more work. I just do continuing work for my existing clients.

The second major development occurred when a friend asked if I wanted to pick up a few shifts at the farmer’s market where she works. I said sure, having shopped there for years. A few days later, I went to talk with the lady who owns the market. After a few minutes of conversation, I realized she was offering me a part time job, not just a week or two of work. Excited, I agreed, and I started work the next week.

I’ve worked there for about three weeks now, and I’m loving it. The extra cash is great, and it is nice to get out of the house and do some physical labor (I was starting to gain a little weight sitting at home all the time). I also love the people. Every level and subset of society visits the farmer’s market. We see the very rich, and the very poor. We see white, black, Asian, and Hispanic people. Doctors and janitors pick through the same tomatoes, and there are so many strange characters. It’s ripe fodder for a budding writer, and I’m bsy gathering stories and character details.

So, now I’m balancing a part time job, a full time job, and my volunteer work. Still, it’s all working out. I also found this article, and it makes me feel confident in my decision to work things out on my own rather than trying to find that “perfect job” that older generations (ie my parents’ generation) think I should have.

Click here for month one!

No comments:

Post a Comment